Yay! I really liked this episode of The Office and I feel like they usually do Christmas episodes so well, and this was another good one.
Phyllis and Michael battling it out for Santa was pretty funny until Michael switched it up and went for Jesus (which he looked nothing like, by the way) and started heckling people (AS JESUS, mind you) as they opened their Secret Santa gifts. LOVED that. But it was also good that they brought Michael around so that he wasn’t just being a baby the entire time, and the look on his face when he saw Dwight enjoying what was obviously a present from him was really great. This was a pretty well-written Michael in this episode, which we all know can be make or break.
I was really enjoying Oscar’s crush on Matt the warehouse guy also, mostly because I think it’s been a good Oscar season and I’d like to see something interesting happen with him. Pam was so awkward at introducing them, but thankfully, Oscar knows what he’s doing. Loved Pam’s talking head that they were the only two gay people she knew, but that they totally belonged together, and I LOVED DARRYL! DARRYL! DARRYL! totally knowing what was going on. I’d love to see him get in on that act too.
Andy convincing Jim and Dwight to let him have Erin only to royally screw it up by going over the top with gifts of birds (okay, the 12 days of Christmas, but pretty much … BIRDS) was just so … ANDY. Kelly hugging Erin over her ordeal was funny (I LOVE Kelly–I’m going to need a big Kelly and Ryan episode soon), and I did like the 12 drummers drumming at the end. And Andy dancing in front of them with the cymbals was so gloriously awkward that it REALLY cracked me up. I like how he wished her a merry Christmas and she seemed to really be enjoying it, which is definitely in contrast to Take a Chance on Me with Angela. I can definitely get behind an Erin and Andy pairing, but maybe with more awkwardness first, since I enjoy that.
As always with The Office, especially the Christmas episodes, the little things are always just as entertaining if not moreso, so here are the random odds and ends that I also enjoyed:
- The addendum to the banner that said Santa Hates Tears.
- Pam being horrified at Jim’s fake tree and Jim being annoyed at her for calling him out on it.
- Creed asking what you got if you weren’t good this year, and in fact were evil
- Kevin almost killing Michael and then wanting to give Phyllis a try.
- Nice continuity on Ryan photographing the Santa pics.
- Also good continuity on the Christmas traditions of Dwight’s elf ears and hat and karaoke at the party.
- Loved Stanley’s reindeer sweater.
- I like how Pam doesn’t even try to yell at Michael anymore (i.e. “someone’s been a naughty girl this year”) and just goes straight for distracting him.
- Also loved Angela clapping when Jesus Michael came out to remind everyone of the true meaning of Christmas.
- And of course, my absolute and truly favorite moment of the episode, Jim giving Kelly an Edward New Moon poster, which I could tell from just the corner of it is what it was (although I didn’t know if it would be Edward, Jacob, or the holy trinity). I love how long she paused, very emotionally and dramatically, and then hugged him. Jim is so good at Christmas. :)
Alright, on to you guys! What did you think? Favorite parts, funny quotes, other stuff I forgot? Comments! You know the drill!
Oh wait, I just forgot that I didn’t mention anything about the company getting bought out. Well … whatever. I’m going to miss David Wallace but it appears it’ll be more or less business as usual. Still, I think that sets up some good story possibilities for new interactions, drama, and so forth. But really, to me it wasn’t so much action as it was just … something that happened, if that makes sense.
Okay, NOW comment. :)
Tags: The Office