“Whilst he thus gazed before him, he saw a snake creep out of a corner of the vault and approach the dead body.”
The episode opens with some obviously rich person getting off a private plane and, following that quote, all I can think is: THERE BETTER NOT BE ANY MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLANE. As far as I can tell there’s not, so I breathe a sigh of relief.
Whew. Alright. Well, I’m going to be honest. This was not my favorite episode of Grimm. Don’t get me wrong – it was very well-written and had some interesting parts. But need I remind you how much I fucking loathed Angelina? And I KNEW she would be back. And I KNEW how pissed off I would be when it happened. I called that shit. Y’all should see how much Angelina-hate peppers my notes for the episode. “Peppers” isn’t a strong enough word. God, just the way she talks. Someone needs to get the cottonballs out of her mouth, pronto. Sorry, maybe that’s mean, and it’s just the way the actress talks, but the accent. I’m so done with living in the Northeast, I can’t even with the accents anymore apparently.
Anyway, so Angelina bad, and I spent a lot of the episode hoping she’d die. I finally did get my wish, and there was much rejoicing. Except that it made Monroe sad, which was no bueno. Wait, let me back up.
Okay, so Angelina, who I didn’t recognize at first because I blocked that bitch out back after that one episode she was in, is back solely to serve the purpose of making the death threat on Monroe more personal, I guess. Someone is trying to kill him. After a really awkward (to me) scene that involved Angelina pretending to be a cop and basically bragging about how she killed some dude and threw his wallet into the bushes, so the cops wouldn’t find it… we learn that Monroe is a target because he’s friends with Nick, a Grimm. And it’s not like back last season when those dudes beat him up. No, Nick thinks whoever is behind this may have been hired by a Royal family. I love that we’re actually getting somewhere with that storyline…
Because turns out they WERE hired by a Royal Family member. At least, I assume so. Because the person who hired the dude (a Königschlange, or “King Snake”) who hired Angelina is the rich lady in the private jet. And who does she call as soon as she lands? RENARD! And when they meet later for drinks and/or food, what does she ask him?
Chick: You ever coming back?
Renard: To Vienna?
Chick: To your rightful place.
Ooooooh, snap! He says yes, but only on his terms, which is superb. Something tells me he doesn’t know about the hit on Monroe. Which also makes sense given he demands ALL the information once she gets back from confirming Monroe’s “death” and barely escaping Nank’s hail of bullets. So, we haven’t seen the last of this storyline (I hope)!
Anyway, so let’s backtrack a bit. Monroe’s hit – Angelina decides that since she’s been contracted to do it now, she’d deliver the news herself, but unfortunately crashes a very adorable date that Monroe and Rosalee are having. He cooked her fancy food, and they bonded over their favorite zitherist, and MONROE WAS WEARING A BOWTIE! But NOOOOOOOO. Fucking Angelina had to happen. Ugh. And Rosalee was all weirded out and left even though Monroe asked her not to. But then, they needed her help to make the Death Feint potion, and she was all worried that he wouldn’t make up, and when Nick calls her to tell her that Monroe is okay, she’s all relieved. Oh, just say you love each other already, FFS.
Also, does anyone believe that her aunt was actually in the hospital. And I don’t mean because Bree Turner went to have a baby. Of course they’re going to write to accommodate that. I mean when she returns and they tie the story back up, was her aunt really sick, or did she just run away from feelings? I kind of wonder if it was just the feelings thing.
Speaking of feelings, I had feelings all over the Nick and Juliette scenes. She doesn’t remember him at all, but saw that she wrote “Nick loves” next to a recipe, so she decided to make it for him. How cute. During their date, they get to talk a bit about how they met and Nick is just getting ready to get to whether or not he actually was keeping anything form her, like she thought (word to the wise, Nicky, do right by her this time…), when Monroe calls for help. So he never tells her, but you know what? She’s still there, and even writes him a thank you note: “Thank you for the new memories.” GOD THESE TWO.
Okay, I know that was kind of disjointed, but just wanted to give you a bit of my stream of consciousness reaction/recap. So now, before I go, I’ll just leave you with some notes from my… notes.
Random Thoughts/Favorite Quotes
- “Thought maybe you were still upset abou tVienna.” WHAT HAPPENED IN VIENNA?!
- Did the rude guy in the bar tell Angelina that she owed him for the beers and “chicky fingers”? He might as well have just called it “Chicky chicky fry fry.”
- From my notes re: the cuckoo clock: Carved by his great-great-etc. grandfather. The cuckoo is a baritone and not a tweetie. “That is amazing.” YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.
- The snake-licking/smelling really grossed me out. Mission accomplished, I bet.
- Notes: Angelina, you are awesome…ly terrible. Kill yourself.
- I may or may not have actually shouted “SHOOT HER! SHOOT HER!” when Nick sees Angelina in Monroe’s house.
- Love the ENTIRE scene with Hank and Monroe, where Monroe demonstrates the folge. Hank’s reaction, and the fact that Monroe seemed much scarier when he did it with the intent for Hank to see him… awesome.
- “Here’s looking at you, kids. Hoffentlich nicht zum letzte Mal.” “Hopefully not for the last time.” Y’all should know by now I’m a sucker for using the German in my titles.
- EDDIE’S SINGLE PERFECT MAN TEAR YOU GUYS.
- When Nick is trying to find out who hired the Königschlange, all I could think was, “WHO DOES NUMBER 2 WORK FOR?!”
- I hope Renard kills that bitch who hired the dude to kill Monroe. Just because it would be satisfying. And if the writers decide he needs to be shirtless to do that, I’d be down.
Tell me what y’all think! Did you love it, hate it? How glad are you that Angelina is dead now? I may have praised TPTB. Tell me if I missed any of your favorite quotes or scenes or anything. Who is your favorite zitherist? Basically, I’m counting on you guys to nerd it up in the comments here. Go forth!