Snow and jurors and hoodies, oh my! Last night’s episode of Revenge, “Justice,” hurtled us forward in time from just after Labor Day to Daniel’s oh-so snowy trial. Which isn’t really going so well for him since basically all the evidence points to him and Charlotte can’t (read: the Graysons won’t let her for fear that her drug use will be unveiled) take the stand to give her testimony about seeing the shadowy hooded figure we all know to be Jack Porter, who, after hearing Ashley declare that Declan would be taking the stand for the prosecution, finally found his wits and returned to Montauk after chasing “Amily” (read: Nolan paying off hotel clerks) up and down the Eastern seaboard.
And y’all. Because it is snowing in Montauk, Jack is wearing sweaters. Mmmmm Jack Porter. *insert requisite WHERE IS SAMMY lament*
And with this episode, the plot mostly stayed the same and then at the very end thickened where Daniel is concerned. I love that the writers are having him question his relationship with Emanda and what her motives are, even if it requires him being a creepy drunken stalker to make that happen. Because, as much as I want Emanda to get her REVENGE, I also like the idea that the people being manipulated are starting to become aware that there is something a little off about her. And it makes total sense for that person to be Daniel. Because, c’mon, if your fiancé was under house arrest and on trial for murder would you stay home every night and ignore his calls? Probably not. But then again, we don’t have the same motivations as Miss Emanda.
And also. I hate to do this every week, but I’m just still not clear. Are her feelings for Daniel real? Have they changed? What is happening with her? I mean, I understand that as she uncovers more and more information, her plans and things are changing, because damn that thing called free will!, but I’ve never really been clear on her feelings for Daniel. I know at first they were real—or so she says—but now that Takeda sort of called her out about letting her emotions get in the way is she now totally disregarding her feelings except for on a superficial level? Like, seriously, what is going on with her? Someone figure this out for me.
- Defense attorney Brooks wants Emanda to testify because she’s Daniel’s fiancée, and thus supporting him by choice and not out of familial obligation. The goal is for her to make the jury fall in love with Daniel since the evidence is not on Daniel’s side. Emanda agrees to this because she obviously wants to help Daniel out. Well, to a point.
- In other things testimony, Charlotte wants to take the stand so that she can counter Declan’s denial that there was a hooded person on the beach, which is what he did during his statement to the police, but the Graysons insist that no, she shouldn’t. Instead, V tells Charlotte to go have sexy times with Declan so that he won’t want to hurt her and will thus recant his statement. MOM OF THE YEAR AWARD, Y’ALL.
- V has The Fixer dig up information about the jurors, all of whom went through voir dire (nerdy note: I LOVE voir dire. I think it’s fascinating. If I were to ever be an attorney, I would totally specialize in voir dire.), to find out which one she can threaten into making the jury a hung one on decision day. This ends up being Juror #3, who has a son. The Fixer goes to her hotel room and tells her that if the jury isn’t hung, that he’ll kill her son. Again, MOM OF THE YEAR AWARD, Y’ALL. Also, V freaks out when she learns from Daniel that Jack is back in town and does her best to get Jack sequestered and imprisoned. It doesn’t work for a myriad of reasons. Mostly because people have free will.
- V is still carrying on with Dominik, who is painting up a storm now that his muse has returned. Apparently he has all these plans to have a gallery show and he wants V to come with him and make their sexlationship public. However, because she is still technically married and her son is on trial for murder, she decides this is a terrible, awful, horrible, no-good, very bad idea. Then promises that her marriage to Conrad was one of convenience and that she always missed Dominik. And then Conrad steps in like a boss. He tells Dominik that the backers for the art show were put up to it because of the Grayson name and that Dominik needs to vacate and take all of his things minus Victoria unless he wants V to go to prison for knowingly brokering a forged (by Dominik) deKooning to Conrad many moons ago. Dominik leaves, but also leaves the one painting of V. This makes V sad.
- And then on the Daniel side of things, he’s all being accusatory of Emanda because she sat next to Jack at the trial (Welcome to 6th Grade) and he starts drinking the demon whiskey whilst sitting on the balcony rail of Grayson Manor. Because Daniel Grayson don’t give a shit. He watches Emanda’s comings and goings and watches her ignore his phone calls and drinks more.
- In the meantime, Charlotte pays off the maid to let a drug-dealing boy in her room so they can do the drugs and have the sex.
- Declan is still going to boarding school despite the fact that Charlotte broke up with him and told him that he’s too dumb to go there. But, he is the luckiest boy in lucky town to have a brother like Jack, who has watchdogs like Emanda and Nolan. Because Declan sucks. In fact, this episode he said, “The up side is he knows more about pre-calculus than you do. Down side is that he’s Nolan.” Someone needs to kill Declan.
- After all of these months, Jack still has the bloody jacket, which Declan jumps all over Jack for having. Then the boys have a nice little chat about the testimony, in which Jack tells Declan not perjure himself in cour, but Declan insists that he says he won’t Jack on the beach. After Charlotte comes by to throw her slutty self in his face, Declan has a little crisis of conscious over his statement with Nolan because he’s lost both parents and he doesn’t want to lose Jack, but he also doesn’t want Charlotte to lose her family either. Nolan explains that the Graysons are ruthless and that Declan shouldn’t make anything easier for them. Because Nolan is awesome.
- So Declan goes to testify and says that there was no one on the beach and then outs Charlotte as being drunk and high that night. But he insists that Charlotte lied because she’s a good person who was just looking out for her family. Oh, Declan. I really hope the Graysons kill you.
- Aaaaand the defense subpoenas Jack. But, Nolan promises to find a good lawyer for him and Jack in turn tells Nolan that he has a sweatshirt with Tyler’s blood all over it. Nolan says he’ll make some calls and hten calls Emanda and relays the information about the Incriminating Hoodie. Now, this call comes right after Daniel has asked Emanda to stay with him and she makes an excuse about needing to study up for her testimony in court. And Daniel watches her from the balcony as she leaves to go help Jack. Dun dun dun. So Emanda goes over to The Stowaway and makes the place look like it’s been good and robbed, when in fact the only thing taken was the Incriminating Hoodie.
- So after Emanda gets rid of the Incriminating Hoodie by (brilliantly) stashing it in The Fixer’s car, which is immediately picked up by the police, thus putting The Fixer in jail and making him the perfect scapegoat/perfect way to hurt the Graysons, she comes home to find Drunk Daniel is in her place, which is all kinds of violating his house arrest. As he’s screaming at her for sneaking around with Jack, the cops bust in and arrest Daniel, carting him back over to Sing Sing or Riker’s or whichever prison it is that they’re using in this show.
- The next day, Emanda goes to V, who is distraught after learning that her muscle is in prison and threatening her, and tells her that she searched Jack’s apartment and couldn’t find anything incriminating, and that maybe it really was The Fixer who killed Tyler all along.
- Then, at the end of the episode we see Daniel writing Emanda yet another prison letter, in which he tells her that he’s ending things, we all of a sudden get all these really quickly edited scenes in which we see characters in the prison but don’t really know exactly what is happening, and then all of a sudden we see an inmate’s dangling feet. And you guys, I FREAKED OUT, but at the same time was like, “OMG THIS IS BRILLS.” And then it turned out that it wasn’t Daniel who hung himself. (I think it was The Fixer? Maybe not. I don’t know.)
- Then at the very end of the episode, Emanda and Nolan are listening to one of the many bugs Emanda has planted around, you know, New York. This particular one is picking up a conversation Conrad is having with another person regarding the prison fight David Clarke was killed in. And then Emanda has a lightbulb moment and is all, “Oh holy shit, the Graysons had my father murdered in a staged prison fight. I don’t know how I didn’t know this, but this shit is ON now.”
“Now you better leave before I break every one of the fourteen bones in your face.”—Dominik to Conrad. I love this line. A whole bunch. But then sadly Dominik didn’t do that and also he left. What a bitch.
I need more Jack in Sweaters Sitting in Front of a Fire scenes. Because that is pretty much my heaven.
I want Batman Nolan back. Get on that, show.
Also, I need jackporterwearingsweaters.tumblr.com to exist RIGHT THE HELL NOW.
So that is that! Please do be so kind as to leave a comment full of your oh-so intelligent observations, thoughts, and ideas about this show. Because leaving comments is caring.